A highly efficient AC unit can be cost prohibitive. If you are hoping to cut your cooling costs, then updating an older AC unit with a brand new, highly efficient system may not be the best option. Instead, you should consider trying some upgrades that come with a smaller cost yet will help you to realize savings. This will help you to free up money in your budget so that you can afford a new AC unit down the road.
Seal Leaky Ducts
Leaky ducts can decrease your AC efficiency by up to 40%. While your ducts should start out full sealed and functional, the pressure created when your AC unit forces air through your ducts day after day and year after year can cause the seals to fail, and when they do, they siphon of air that could be used to cool your home. If you have exposed ducts, use these steps to inspect and repair them:
- Acquire a stick of incense.
- Turn your thermostat to the "fan" position.
- Access your ducts.
- Light the incense and run it along your ducts' joints and seams.
- Mark any place where air escaping from the ducts disturbs the smoke curling off of the incense.
- Once you have thus combed over the full length of your ducts, turn your thermostat to the "off" position.
- Paint over the marks you have made with a thick layer of duct mastic.
- Let the duct mastic set before you turn the thermostat back to the on position.
Repairing leaky ducts is not difficult if you can access your ducts. If you can't, or if you want to make sure that the job is done correctly, you can call in duct professionals to do the work for you.
As long as the sun can heat up the air in your home as quickly as your AC can cool it down, your system will not run as efficiently as it should. In that window film can reflect the sun's UV rays back outside before they have a chance to heat up your home, they can help you to keep your home cooler and decrease your cooling costs by up to 23%.
As you can see, buying a new AC unit is not the only way to find better efficiency. Thus, if you know you need a new AC unit, but you can't afford one right now, you can try the upgrades described above to free up money in your budget and save yourself some money so that you can afford a new unit down the road. Click for more info on air conditioning service.